Monday 28 August 2017

Mainline J72 69001


I won a second J72 in good running condition on eBay today, this time in the 'lion on a unicycle' post-1950 variant of early British Railways livery. I can now run both tank engines on the NE Region Inglenook branch shunting line that I'm planning to build before I move onto the larger and more complicated GWR layout. I am keeping these plans to a simple theme but still have room for a bit of development, perhaps away from an Inglenook design to a very small, through branch line station or remote rural halt.







I've been thinking about this and have been reading up on the old Rothbury Branchline in Northumberland, which has several features that would be a good basis for a fictional rural layout in the area. I particularly like the idea of a lime works, small colliery or quarry as a focus for the goods traffic on the layout, all of which are features of the local landscape. I also like the idea of a more scenic layout rather than one which concentrates on just shunting operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment