Sunday 23 July 2017

Off we go in OO


Although I have some old N Gauge locos, rolling stock and track I've decided to start out in OO, the scale that I used as a kid for my first model railway layouts. This decision came about largely by accident when I bumped into a 50% sale at Hobbycraft of Hornby track and accessories last weekend. I would have preferred using Peco Code 75 track but, given the windfall of some cheap and perfectly good Hornby rail sections, it was obviously worth picking it up.


I managed to acquire four sets of points, several straight and curved track sections and some point motors, all for about forty quid. This was enough to start planning a compact end to end style layout with a fiddle yard, based around shunting operations. As I didn't have any rolling stock or locomotives, I searched online for a suitable Ready to Run starter set and found a good deal on the Bachmann Branch Line Western Wanderer train set, which is perfect for the set up I have in mind and has the bonus of a decent, modern controller for slow speed operation.

So, in the space of a week, I'm now set up with all that I need to start designing my first OO layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment