Saturday 22 July 2017

Starting All Over Again


I woke up the other day and decided that, as I'm fifty next year, it was about time that I started railway modelling again after a long time away from the hobby. As is often the case, I abandoned model railways some time around about the age of thirteen, when I discovered that teenagers did other things that were far less geeky and a bit more exciting.

However, having now finally grown too old to be bothered with such things, I am now determined to build the layouts that I originally thought about way back in the early 80's. To help me get up to date with all the latest innovations in railway modelling, I've been scouring the newsagents, bookshops and the internet for reading material and have already turned up a couple of really useful titles.


I have also been sketching out some ideas for compact layouts in both N and OO gauge, based partly on the Inglenook shunting concept and partly on industrial layout designs. In the longer term I also hope to build a layout based on a prototypical rural branch line station in East Cornwall, where I grew up. This is one of the layouts that I've always wanted to make a reality.

I have some N gauge track and rolling stock which I inherited from my grandfather a few years ago and I have been acquiring some new or second hand 00 gauge locos, wagons and track as well. I grabbed a bargain at Hobbycraft last weekend, with several packs of Hornby 00 track all at half price, so I already have enough to realise my first, basic model railway project.

I'll be posting more about my plans as soon as I've sketched them out in greater detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment