Saturday 12 August 2017

Airfix 14xx


This is the last of the second hand locomotives that I've acquired via eBay for my 1930's to 1940's GWR layout. I had one of the original Airfix 14xx 0-4-2 engines when I was a  kid and it was still cutting edge in terms of detail and accuracy. It's a bit long in the tooth now but still looks pretty good. I have another one of these that doesn't run so well and has been fiddled about with, so this second one will now takes it's place assuming it's in better running condition and isn't sticky.

The other one will either be overhauled and re-painted in early British Railways livery or used as a source of spare parts. There's a really interesting article on converting a ready to run 14xx to an Edwardian era 516 class 0-4-2, which I might try at some point in the future as it doesn't look too difficult:


In the meantime, I'll add some etched brass number plates and other details to the new one, which should help to bring it into line with some of the more modern models in the collection. This is probably the last of my locomotive buys for the moment, although I would love to have a Bachmann 45xx or a 56xx too. These will have to wait until I can afford them and until I have added some more goods rolling stock to be shunted around!

1 comment:

  1. It looks smart. I had the Hornby 'Albert Hall' as a kid and it was really sticky, requiring everything short of a boot up the tender to get it moving.

    ReplyDelete