Thursday 17 August 2017

Lineside Timber Merchant or Sawmill


I've been thinking through the options for the goods operations in my shunting yard again, with a focus on the long siding at the front of the layout. I originally thought this would feature a cattle dock as the layout is a rural branch line somewhere in West Wales, but I have also considered a set of coal stathes or coal drops with a weighbridge, which would be fairly typical of a small goods yard in the 1930's or 1940's. I could have both I suppose but I don't want it to be too cluttered, so may just have a loading ramp rather than a cattle dock.


I've also been thinking about the sidings at the back of the layout, which were going to be a normal goods shed but could also be a lineside industry instead, with a timber merchant or timber saw mill as the most likely industrial activity for a countryside location. This would also allow me to run a range of rolling stock and loads including open wagons and bolster wagons, for example, which would be a really interesting feature of the layout .

No comments:

Post a Comment